Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thinking Activities (pun intended!)

This week, it was extremely tough to get up every morning. Blame it on weekdays evenings that have been exhausting with activities that there is not even one evening where you could relax. One is always on the run - driving in the dark, rainy nights chasing fog off the headlights. Especially now that it turns dark so early!

Sometimes I wonder, these activities that I take my son to - are they becoming too much? Is it helpful in shaping his personality? It surely takes a toll on parents - driving around kids from one place to another. But it also feels risky not to have him do anything apart from school. We don't want him to feel out of place among a bunch of kids who do sports and other activities.

Sometimes, kids have all the energy and are ready to go for the activities - while I feel like I have none. It is his interest that pushes me to take him to karate. "Do you really want to go today?" "Yes, yes".Sometimes, it is our interests that pushes them - they are not really particular, but you believe it is good for them in the long run. And a little bit of push - you see him making progress and you tell yourself - 'See, I knew it!'.

In the mechanical run, there are moments we miss to smile on. The pranks the kids do, irritate us because we are hurrying to get them somewhere. One has to step aside, take a deep breath and remind oneself of this quote that comes flashing to my mind today -
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

6 comments:

UL said...

Each to his/her own, I guess. Don't forget to breathe and enjoy that life which is happening now while you are rushing around...I tell myself all the time..there's no greater joy than living the moment...Wow your son is indeed doing a lot of activities..I know you mentioned before of kumons as well as soccer practise? So when do you get him all to yourself? I cant imagine a situation where all I am doing is running around...

anamika said...

@UL - He goes to karate,swimming and Kumon.And that is not much compared to some other kids I know. Nights are weekends are free!

UL said...

I know exactly what you mean, Anamika, some children get so tired after all these activities(and I am not referring to your children but those ones who go from one activity to the next seven days a week- I know many as well), that they've little energy to just be...I think that's shame, they just grow up so quickly...In a way it is wonderful that these kids are getting exposed to so many different fields but children need that free time as well... to be their young innocent self...

Unknown said...

As it is our schedule is crazy. I dread to think how it would change once Atu starts going to school, and gets involved in other activities.

Anonymous said...

I am glad so far, you are enjoying the activities.
As much as it is important to expose them to the opportuntities available here (compared to our land of birth) and give chance to select what theylike, it is important to give that time to be just themselves, 'don't have to behave' 'don't have to look polished and clean and eat with some spills'. well that is me. When you are anywhere out of the house,we expect them to be their best self.I like to give them some evenings to be with each other, fight over things,watch a show together, eat sitting on the sofa. a weird mom that I am!
Karate and swimming are life saving activities, i think it should be aprt of basic curriculam.
good weekend
shy

anamika said...

@UL, Shy - Yes, that is very true. But once you start these, before you know, you could be going to one of these every evening! I guess, we have to stop and think and prioritize!