Friday, December 5, 2008

Holiday Party

When I got the invite to our office holiday party weeks ago, I was excited and very motivated to go with B. Problem is that kids are not allowed at all. Last year, we had B's parents at home so we left the kids home, dressed up in formal clothes and went. This year, I was not sure what to do. So eventually my enthusiasm drained out and I was looking for more reasons to skip it than to make it happen.

Yesterday was the party day and B and myself decided not to go. During the day, I made a call to my friend B who inspired me to attend it. R from work also tempted me to come. I thought let me give Miss. B (Nithin's babysitter) a call. If she says she can watch my kids for couple of hours that evening, I could probably go. I gave her a call and apologized for the last minute request. My mind was prepared to take the answer that comes in the right spirit. After all, I had not been keen in making arrangements in the beginning!

Miss B said a cool Yes! This is a first time for us - to leave the kids with a baby sitter for any event and go! I was both thrilled and nervous at the same time. The rest of the afternoon went by in going home and visiting the beauty parlor lady in our neighborhood for a clean-up (oh my God, it is so hard for women to dress up for a party, I tell you!). I did not want Nithin to spend a continuous 12 hours away from home, so we picked him up , brought him home for couple of hours. Then we dropped both the boys at the baby sitter.

We made it to the party. Kids were safe and there was peace of mind. We missed the first hour, but got to meet friends and have dinner. We started soon after dessert and headed to pick the boys up.

While we were driving back, I realized that more than the fun I had the party, I was more amazed about how quickly the kids adapted to the situation. When I saw Nikhil at home and started to prep him emotionally, he said 'I know. I know we are going to Miss B, and you both are going to an office party'. His dad had mentioned and he was just fine with it. Nithin became fine with it since big bro was with him. As we got the kids back, I felt a sense of accomplishment - having tried out leaving kids with a sitter for the first time in life!

This incident made me realize two things:
1. It is just a matter of making the start. Sometimes we hestiate so much for a thing, and we are surprised it was not that difficult after all.
2. Quoting my Appa - If something is destined for you, it will happen. I tried so much not to make this event happen, but, in the end, it did anyway. This is debatable but there is some thrill in quoting Appa's theory! Gives me a magical feeling about life!

7 comments:

UL said...

I am so glad you enjoyed the party, we have a holiday luncheon this year, so no spouces ...never tried a baby sitter yet..one of these days...it is always nice to have that 'you time' with your partner...once in awhile.we would love some pictures...

Anonymous said...

Did you go in a kanchipuram? saree is catching up fast on the western fashion world. I think, Vogue had Vic Beckham cover in saree( i hardly like it on her:(). Weather sucks to go in saree for Xmas. Saree or not, I am happy 1)companies are trying to make things happen for staff in these hard time 2)you guys had good time 3) may be kids loved it too for a change.

have a wonderful weekend
shy

Bewildered said...

Good going for u ! Doesn't this open a whole new avenue of opportunities for u? I am so excited that this worked out!

Anonymous said...

Maybe I can take your blog as an inspiration. I feel so guilty when I think of my son starting daycare for the first time next year. It takes a huge leap of faith to leave one's precious in someone else's care. Did you have go through the same pangs?

Unknown said...

I am sure it would have been a ton of relief hearing Nikhil utter those matured words. Kids are more adaptive than we give them credit for, isn't it? I see that with Atul every day. Congratulations on the mile stone.

Unknown said...

@sl: From my experience, all it involves is some adjusting time. Your little one will take to the new routine more easily than you do. Just know that by letting your kiddie in day care, you don't become less of a mom.

@Anamika: sorry about being a "moonthri kottai" (in other words, intruding).

anamika said...

@UL - Try it out! Some of my friends have their kids' daycare teacher come in as sitters. That would work well! I cannot imagine leaving them with a stranger!

@Shy - no saree for this party! Everyone was in western style dresses/suits!

@S - yes, it does, but not sure if I will use it in future, but it feels good to know you have an option to do that.

@sl - long time no see! Of course,I think all moms go through this phase. It will pass!

@Suman - yes,Suman! From Atul's bday post, I too can see how mature he is at this young age! It touches us when they behave so maturely!

Hehe,No problem at all, Suman! Agree with your points to sl!