Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The school bus chase

8.15AM in the car clock. It looked like we had enough time to get to the school bus stop before the bus reaches. We means myself and my six year old son Nikhil.We were wrong. I saw the bus leaving right when our car got closer to the stop. I told to myself, the time has come. The other day, I had figured out where the school bus stops after leaving our community. I determined to give that stop a try.

I followed the bus - thinking in mind, when the bus stops in the next stop in Phoenixville Pike, I will ask Nikhil to get out of the car on the sidewalk side and I will somehow attract the attention of the mom standing there to drop her children - so she can signal to the bus driver...see there is one boy trying to hop onto the bus!

There it is..I saw the bus slowing down..I am right behind the school bus..I stopped the car..I put the hazard lights on. I said, "Nikhil open the right side door and get out"..we were frantic..he was already into the thriller mood..ready to jump out..while he is trying to open the door, I was looking at the mom in the bus stop. She was busy getting her kids into the bus and did not even notice us. I was knocking on the windshield like a mad woman..no one saw me..I bet the school bus driver noticed us and even waited for 1 min for Nikhil to get out out the car..poor guy, he had no luck opening the car door. And we saw the bus started moving again....

Just then it dawned upon me, that door has child lock on - to prevent my second one from playing with it and getting into any trouble! I said to Nikhil - 'I know why Niks..that door has the lock on'... as I continued to follow the bus for two reasons - 1) I have no other choice, had to go straight 2) may be we can still make it at the next stop.

Yes...I saw the bus slowing down again..with the lights on..this time Nikhil got ready to hop into the front seat and get out of the front door..the bus stopped..I put the hazard lights on and stopped my car. We saw the kids in the stop hop onto the bus..Nikhil opened the front door on right side and was suspicious about this whole thing..should I get out or not..he hesitated..

I told him - Nikhil, get out and go, I will get you back if you cant make it into the bus..GO GO...
It looked like the bus knew we were behind..I could not tell for sure..but as I saw him walk to the bus door, I was only hoping everything works out fine - that they see him and let him in - that I dont get yelled or honked by the immediate car behind me...I could see part of him climbing on the bus and the bus left....

Oohh..sigh of relief..we made it...this bus chase I am sure got our adrenaline levels up...I am thinking Nikhil may have traces of this incident's memory even when he grows up.

5 comments:

Laksh said...

That was funny!!! Am sure Nikhil was traumatized :)

anamika said...

@laksh - yes, I did not have a chance to ask him how he felt..will do that this evening!

UL said...

oh what a frustrating chase for you, I hate getting behind school buses esp. since they're so slow....but it seems like they can be fast when one is chasing it. Very adventurous for your son like you said, one he will surely remember and perhaps talk about for a long long time.

anamika said...

@ul - glad u stopped by..this is my first attempt at describing a happening in my day to day life..

Achayan said...

Good one. Never give up!!