Monday, February 18, 2008

A peaceful lunch in solitude

The most important thing I learned from my present work life is that one should learn to enjoy solitude. And also that one should relax and enjoy whenever you get free time bearing in mind that not all days will be so.

Facts for the day:
1. I did not bring lunch from home
2. It was so warm outside, I knew I could walk to the Thai restaurant.
3. Whether or not someone comes with me, I am going to eat there.

After some futile attempts to get company to go out, (Rule #1: When I am free, people I want to go out with will never be free), I ended up walking over the bridge sidewalk. It was so pleasant outside. It was not at all cold, and I was comfortable walking without any of the winter accessories on me. I tried calling some friends who work close by, hoping to get someone to join me. No luck. Well, what to do, I said to myself and walked.

I hate to be the single person in a table in any restaurant. The couple of occasions I had to do that, I felt very conscious of the surroundings and was not able to enjoy the food as I would, if I had company. The noise from the tables around and their conversations made me feel all the more lonely. I have cursed my fate for having sat there without any one to talk to.

Walking to the Thai restaurant, I somehow, was not afraid of the upcoming half an hour. The reason could be that I have been there many times and my mind was set to eat what I like, not caring what others might think. As I opened the door and walked in, I was surprised to see I was the only customer there. The place gets jam-packed around 12, so I made it a point to go early. But it looks like I was too early.

Never mind. I gave my usual order. I was offered the table that faced the glass window (wall). I sat there all alone with the view to the busy street facing me. I have never felt so relaxed and peaceful in a long time. I watched the people walking on sidewalk - old ladies waiting for their lunch mates, cars with huge dogs hanging their heads outside, restaurants on the opposite side of the road and so on. The soup came - spicy, hot and tasty loaded with basil flavor. The Thai music was in the air. The crispy roll and Drunken noodles followed. Since I was the only customer for the whole time, I got attended promptly on every step.

I did not feel conscious at all - for there was no one else. My cell phone died, so I could not call anyone and talk. I enjoyed the solitude completely. The walk back to work was also nice in the breeze. Walking on the bridge, over the Schuykill river, I clasped my purse tightly to fight the vertigo feeling. Back in my office, I told to myself, this is the first time I have enjoyed a solitary lunch so much!

8 comments:

Achayan said...

Nice. Now you know why do not look at you when we go out and eat. It is always fascinating to watch others from a corner.

anamika said...

@Achayan - now I get it!

UL said...

Hey that was a really good one...I have done it tonnes of times actually. Been awhile since I did it any time recently, I usually have a book with me and am immersed in it to see the world around me, esp. while waiting for the order. Once I begin to eat, food adds music to the world around me, I begin to notice the surroundings based on the flavor of the food I eat, very colorful, enriching and satisfactory just like your post here :)Am glad you experienced it too, and it can become quite addictive :)

Anya Padyam said...

Its always a treat to see a post during my daily checks of 'Just my way of thinking'... that was a really nice post

anamika said...

@ul - the reply i put here somehow vanished. I had said your comment brightened my day!

@just someone - keep coming..!

A-kay said...

I am like you too in that I hate going to a restaurant alone - have never done that so far. You give me courage :)

Noby M. Joseph said...

Good one...

anamika said...

@noby - good to see you here!