Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Spinster's Day Out at Barnes and Nobles


I am not really a spinster, but it was nice to act like one. It was a day Nithin was supposed to be home and not go to school. Thanks to having grandparents at home, I could set out early morning to Barnes and Nobles. It was B's idea and his own dream to spend an entire day there browsing through books. Only that I got to do it.

With no kids to trouble me and husband at office (away from my trouble), it was a day where I could be myself and focus on reading technical books and prepare notes. I bought a coffee and climbed up the escalator to the technical section smiling to myself. Kappi okke vangichu..ini joli kittumo? It all entirely depends on how best I utilize my time there! I picked a book that interested me and made myself comfortable in the huge plush chair there. It was not crowded and I felt at home, muttering the words in the book and taking notes.

One of the incentives of this exercise was to have lunch from a nearby shop and return back to studies. At 11.30, the lady in the bookstore who helped me in the morning saw me and she asked 'You still here". I said :" Fear not, I will be back after lunch :-)" . I did not say the whole sentence, but just a part of it.

It was a bright sunny day. I walked to the Mexican fastfood near by and had a Sonoroan Quesadilla , once recommended to me by Laksh. I spoke with a friend on the phone and walked back to B&N. The rest of the afternoon was not as productive as the morning. I got distrubed by other people sitting in chairs next to me and the music on the air. Can't do much about it since I dont' own the shop, can I? But I managed to read something, so I enjoyed the stay at the shop overall. I finished my day by visiting two other shops, got some shirts for kids for good prices (am not a shopaholic and am very much behind in getting good deals, so this time I felt good doing it!). That was the day that was!

11 comments:

Laksh said...

Sounds like a fun day! K's dream is to spend one day like that just browsing books at B&N

Anya Padyam said...

I'd love that!!:)

Isn't that fun? I try to just go in to BN to browse...
Maybe after my exams!:(

Good luck again for everything!
And, enjoy these wonderful moments at hand:)

Take care,

shy said...

I am so glad you had great fun. kappi vangicholu, joli udane kittum ketto..fear not:)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun.I too love B&N.I would love to spend sometime there browsing fiction books.

Anila.

UL said...

Now I am envious, you were at b & N and you got to be a spinster...give me some spinster gossip, lady- - kaanan kollavunnavarum vallathum undayirunno B & N il? Atho mothham geeks aayirunno? :)

Unknown said...

Wow..! that's so cool. I seldom go to book stores here (prefer to buy online), but your posts brought back memories of browsing for books in Landmark back home with appa dear.

shy said...

haven't seen any action here for a while. just to say; hope things are progressing anamika.

Anya Padyam said...

Just stopped by to say Hello! how are things? Any updates?

Anonymous said...

Which B&N is this ? Exton or Valley Forge ?

anamika said...

@all my regulars - plan to break my silence soon..
@anon - it is the one in Exton.

Sunitha said...

Such a nice post.. Never been to B&N alone.. Maybe I should also try it..