Sunday, April 19, 2009

Slow, trying to be steady

Things are moving slow. A week would bring loads of hope, followed by another with nothing fruitful happening. A week would have me believe that changes are imminent and another would fly by without any major achievement.

Job hunting is a job by itself. Being jobless is not fun.Having worked so far continuously for all these years with only a 10 month gap in between with Son1 at home, I might have gotten used to being busy and occupied all the time. I would not say that being home, I am finding it hard to kill time. No, time files quickly! But what I miss is the feeling of having done something productive or useful for some one (a project, or a company!) . I miss interacting intellectually with my colleagues. I miss running the project, planning things for its execution and knocking off items from my tasks list.

Some people tell me to take a break. Somehow, I started looking for a job right away. In this market, it is hard to get something even if you tried hard because you are competing against so many other people who got laid off! A day off when I was working had a totally different meaning. I used to look forward to doing so many things on a day off. But I have not done any of those things since I lost my job. I was more prompt with visiting blogs, commenting there and posting my updates in mine when I was working. A 5 minute break from heavy workload meant a lot! I have not gone shopping for fun. I have not watched any movie on any weekday!

Things I did differently/newly are
- landed on a week day story telling session in library with Nithin - first time!
- walked with Nikhil while he bicycled on a sunny day
- took a walk another day with Nithin outside in our neighborhood.
- wore saree to church one day - for the first time to our church
- drove to couple of new routes by myself to meet recruiters, an interview
- gained confidence that I can go by train to Center City, Phille in needed.
- went to Thursday 9.30 workout lesson in gym thinking who will be there now and was surprised to see the hall full of women in the Pilates class!

Tomorrow is Nithin's first day in his preschool. He has to move out of our beloved babysitter's home for some reasons. From the cozy comfort zone of our babysitter, we have to move him to a school environment. It is exciting to think about the changes he will have, but it is worrying/scary to think about the transition phase and how he will face it. Big bro is advising him to 'just get used to it'! We are keeping our fingers crossed. So I am currently working on the project to transition him into new school environment. Obama (US. Labor ) is paying me for it ( I mean, unemployment comp!)

BTW, it was nice to meet Suman at UL's home yesterday. UL, Laksh and myself were meeting her the first time. It was really nice to get together - missed some others who are regulars (Shy, Anila and JS!). Catch you later!



11 comments:

sl said...

Well said, slow but steady, you will get there. Good luck! When I came to this country on H4, it was a 9 month break before I got my EAD and my current job. I got used to the country, the accent, learned to drive, set up my home, and chatted a lot with my mom! I knew only about Yahoo chat at that time. You are right, job search is a job by itself and in fact I would say more tiring that the job itself. Because you are saving the commute alright, but there is this mental tension of internet searching, calling, waiting for the call back and just being prepared anyday, anytime for an interview and the 'what next' situation.

It is always akkarapacha. When we are working, we wish we could get one month off and do all that we want to do. When we have the time, we hope we didnt have the time. It is a wonder how human mind works!

shy said...

Dearie,
Let me first say that staying calm and positive as you are, in itself is applaudable.

I can so totally relate. When we are working, meeting deadlines and get tired mentally (and physically) with that we crave for that day off; but not otherwise. Because not having job is always at the back of your mind. I am very much like you; I wouldn't have taken a break, straight to job hunting. And job hunting, though a full time job, it is unpaid and it is hard to beat deadlines (as we do in projects). I sincerely hope and pray that 'ek pal' is really really coming soon. Then take a day off to enjoy like Mohanlal said ' joli kittiyittu venam oru avadhi edukkan'

Manchus said...

Came across your blog from Laksh's blog. I can totally identify with your situation. Keep the faith..so shall I. Hope you land your next job soon. All the best!!

UL said...

Meant to write in yesterday but missed out...I see lots of postive things you are doing even when life throws hurdles your way - keep it up - I am glad you are doing all the things you have been wanting to do -esp. spending time with the children, going to the gym(hurray) and devoting your time to find a job- at the end of the day at least it brings me some satisfaction knowing you have tried all you can and leaving the rest to your faith...so good jon, keep it up... loved Shy's Mohanlal comment - "jolikittiyittu venam avadhi edutthu veetilirikkan" rings lots of bells in these current times. Take care and more wishes...

UL said...

typo correction - "it bring me some ..." please read as "it brings you some satisfaction..."

shy said...

hoe is the preschool priject going..hoping for a smooth sail..

shy said...

sorry about the typo in prev comment anamika. Pl read as 'how is the preschool project going? hoping for a smooth sail'

anamika said...

@sl - thanks for sharing your experience!Truly it is akkarappacha.

@shy - Joli kittiyittu venam is exactly the dialogue I remembered - me and my best friend share that joke often. I was really stunned when you said the same thing! Haha!

@Manchus - thank you!

@UL - thanks a lot. I do break down emotionally in between, but managing to cope up so far!
BTW, which movie is the dialogue from?

@shy - Day1 went not too bad, but Day 2 tougher for drop off. More protest and tears from his side, now that he knows more.

Anya Padyam said...

How are things? been a long time since I commented!

Thanks for remembering me... felt bad missing it :( am sure it must have been a lot of fun!

Once again, good luck with everything!

anamika said...

@JS - I will put a post on my updates soon. Did you get the photos I sent? have not heard from Shy and UL on the pics either!

Unknown said...

Catching up with your posts Anamika. You haven't posted in a while and haven't from you in a long time, so hoping all is well at your end. Will email when I get a chance.