Thursday, March 12, 2009

Taco Bell experience

Taco Bell is probably one of the very few fast food places that an Indian vegetarian in US like me likes to go to. My favorite item (which is also my kids' favorite by now) is called Chalupa. The picture shows a beef version, I guess. Anyone familiar with Indian food can equate it with a Poori with some stuffings. It has been quite a savior to me during pregnant times when I was hungry all the time. My typical order (by now, B has it memorized too) is : X nacho cheese chalupas minus beef add beans.

So two days I ago, I stand in the counter after dropping Nikhil to karate across the road and Nithin with me. I recite this recorded order and they even accepted my payment. That is when the lady inside brought it to the cashier's attention that they are out of BEANS!

Cashier: "Sorry, ma'm, we are out of beans! Would you like to have something else instead in your chalupa?"

I was put in a spot - what was I supposed to put in my bean chalupa other than beans? Note than beef, chicken and even shrimps (once a server in a Japanese restaurant brought me shrimp saying it is not meat) don't qualify as vegetarian in my dictionary.

I said: "Ok, go ahead and make it with other ingredients without beans."

Cashier with a worried look: "Are you sure you don't want some chicken on it? How will you eat with just lettuce and cheese? It will be so plain."

Me: "I don't eat chicken. No meat. So go ahead and give it to me just like that."

Cashier was really sorry for me and apologetic for not having beans and (as we soon found out), spoons and forks also! I was smiling to hear that!

An old Tamil mimicry joke goes: "Poottu irukka?" asking the shop keeper for a poottu (lock) and indirectly nudging him to lock the shop and go home.

The rest of the time I spent was a positive experience though. The shopkeeper wanted to make up for their shortcomings - so I got a juice box for Nithin, who was just as happy with his chalupa as always (no beans, so what!).

Cashier: "Chocolate or Vanilla?"

Me: Hmm...Chocolate (wondering what is coming next and thinking of Nikhil's favorite flavor)

Cashier hands me a cholocate icecream.

Time to leave. And cashier says: "Ma'm, thanks for your patience. I have one more thing for you" and he handed me a hand written note for 2 Bean Chalupas FREE next time!

P.S. Nikhil enjoyed the icecream! One day, I will enjoy the bean chalupas soon! Three cheers to customer satisfcation!

P.P.S. Sorry gals/guys for the silence - I was busy with work, so will be for this whole month.

9 comments:

UL said...

yay to customer experience - nothing can beat a free deal! I love taco bell, but with meat though :)

Laksh said...

Which Taco bell was this? Near Himalyan? Or Exton? You make it sound nice. I have never been to Taco Bell (turning red in shame :p)

anamika said...

@UL - Ya! with mean - ya I understand! B is one too!
@Laksh - yes,u r right - near Himalyan! What is there to be shameful about - that just means u have been cooking good stuff at home!

anamika said...

@UL - I meant - with "Meat". U guys are MLA - meat Lovers Association! Alle!

Anonymous said...

Taco bell is my favorite place and it is the best fast food thing we veggies can indulge in.My favorite order is Bean and potato burrito,cheese quesidilla and ofcourse lots of fire sauce.It's been along time since we went there.Your post reminded me to go there soon.

Anila.

Anya Padyam said...

Taco Bell used to be one of our favorites too for a long time (same reason you mentioned), but after a beef in bean fiasco last time, we haven't been there :)

Was wondering abt the long gap! Assumed it had to be work:)

Anonymous said...

LOL @MLAs..you know have quite a lot of mallu thing..lol @ 'pootu irika' too.
loved it.
shy

anamika said...

@Anila - Bean and Potato burrito sounds interesting - have never had that. Will keep that in mind!

@JS - I remember you mentioned that fiasco to me. Has happened to me too - I detected the beef on first look and escaped from eating it.

@Shy - Glad to see your LOL!

@All - your comments brightened my day! Thanksss!

Unknown said...

My fav is seven layer burrito..yummmm!!!!