Sunday, March 15, 2009

Holi Aayi Re!


I know Holi, the festival of colours through Hindi movies only. I am reminded of 'Silsila' where Amitabh, Jaya and Rekha appear in the colorful song sequence. Chitrhaar on Holi time featured all kinds of Holi songs. I don't recall playing 'holi' because it was not celebrated where I grew up. So when we signed up to go to the Holi Party, conducted by a cultural organization in our area, I was not sure about it.

My inspiration to go was mainly that my son Nikhil was part of a group performance by kids from our community. I looked forward to it eagerly - as every other mom whose kid featured on the stage that day did. The choreographer, other moms and kids practiced and worked for this event since past 2 months. It was cute to watch the kids dance - when the dance was over, I felt relieved. I ran to hug Nikhil as he stepped off the stage - he seemed more worried about a new Frisbee that he got from there! Kids! Kids!

After the performances and lunch, we all came outside to the parking lot and it was HOLI time.
Nithin got scared looking at my face with colors on it, so I held him outside the color zone. B went around taking pictures and got color on him too. It was nice to see everyone in colors - all over their face, shirts and hair. When we left, all of us except Nithin looked colorful. For the first time, in my life, we all got to play HOLI!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, I too grew up where holi isn't celebrated in the grand scale that we see in the movies. Only when I came here to Australia, I first heard about this festival. The Indian community here celebrate it. However, I still haven't been to one yet....Missed this year. Maybe next year! :)

It must have been a joy watching your son perform. Something for the memory books for sure :)

Anya Padyam said...

Hmm... holi party- that's cool!:)

anamika said...

@spillay - Hey, are you a regular now here? Welcome to the gang!Try joining in a Holi party, at least you get an excuse to blog about it..!

@JS - ya, it was fun! Now u r regularly commenting..stay with me!