Monday, February 2, 2009

Birthday memories

Today is my birthday! The best thing about this day was Nikhil coming up to me in the morning and evening and hugging me repeatedly and saying "Happy Birthday, Amma!". Remember some of the old birthdays where every moment of the day felt special! Every second was to be savored and thanks to nice friends around, one got the most attention, well wishes, greeting cards and gifts. It looked like he is going through similar emotions for me!

This year I felt birthday is like any other day. In the past, I used to feel that I need that special attention or something special done for me.

When I was a child, birthday meant getting a brand new dress. But nothing more than that. Altough people talk about single children being spoilt by parents' pampering, I did not get that kind of attention from parents. They treated me like a normal kid - sometimes more like an adult. So the first time I got pampered was really when I went to Women's College, Trivandrum to study pre degree - by friends. A group of 4 friends, we started the tradition of getting birthday cards, buying icecream and in our own way, celebrating each other's birthday.

When I went to Engineering College, Trivandrum, the first year was truly a totally new and different experience. Friends did not mean girls alone, anymore. I still remember my first birthday in that class after our tour - when we were all not just classmates, but had become friends. A tradition of spending close to Rs.300 emerged and that was the first time, I 'fought' with my father for money. He was shocked to hear my demand for money for birthday because I wanted to give a treat to friends! Anyway, he obliged - as he always has been my dear friend too!
He still would recall that incident where the changes in me shocked him!

Anyway, I really enjoyed every bit of the day with gifts and cards. The gift I cherish was an audio cassette of the Hindi hit of that time - Raju Ban Gaya Gentle man.The next year, when I received my birthday gift from B, little did I know that this tradition/relation was to go on for forever! That too, was an audio cassette of the movie Uzhavan by ARR.

Then we started working - so had more money at our disposal. The day started with phone calls and progressed with birthday emails from friends who worked in other companies.It invariably had a lunch with colleagues and a dinner with collegemates.

Then B and I got married and the first birthday after wedding, B hid gifts all through home like a treasure hunt! That was fun.

Years pass by - now I hear B and Nikhil whisper something to each other. Wonder what is cooking!

A one liner from the closest friends, emails from new blog-friends whose wish took me by surprise, an e-Card from Appa, talking to Amma yesterday night for the occasion, a phone call from a friend warmed up my heart and that is all I need now to feel happy about my birthday!

21 comments:

Laksh said...

Awww! Cute :) Reading your post took me down my own past. Amazing how similar our lives have been. Happy Birthday!!

Unknown said...

Sweet..! glad to know you had a good b'day. Happy B'day again.

Sachita said...

Appy Appy birthday:)

Nothing like a kid to bring to your birthday, they are only ones who seemed to be in a mood to celebrate.

Anonymous said...

that indeed was a trip down the memory line. Happy Happy Birthday girl!; very glad to know that you had a good day with twinkle in the eyes.God bless..
now..where is my share of payasam hello..

UL said...

:) and mine? Paayasam I mean :) Belated birthday wishes dear Anamika :) Glad to hear you had such a wonderful birthday, and it is indeed lovely to hear the trip down the memory lane - Women's brought back lots of memories...here's wishing you many many more...love lots.

Anonymous said...

Many Many Happy Returns of the day(belated wishes).Hope you had a great day.

-Anila

anamika said...

@All you regulars - thanks a lot for the wishes. I too enjoyed walking down the memory lane..glad it took you down yours!

Anonymous said...

Belated wishes, glad that you had a great day! Wish you many more to come.

anamika said...

@sl - thanks for your wishes. Now I am counting..how many people read my ramblings! I almost forgot you - thanks for the note.

Anonymous said...

I am very much here, I was keeping low and quiet, trying to catch up with lot of work before my India trip next week.

anamika said...

@sl - have fun in India! First time with your son?

Anya Padyam said...

Happy Birthday :) from both of us!

anamika said...

@js - a comment form you after a long time..thanks a lot..

How do we know said...

hey.. what a day to visit ur blog!! Happy Birthday! loved the post!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Firstly Happy birthday! Hope you had a great time! What did you get up to? Just wanted to leave a little comment about how cool I think electronic greetings are. There are so many people that don't really agree with sending e-cards, I think maybe they feel that it is a lazy way to send a greeting, and are more in favor of the traditional way of buying a 'real' card, and sticking a stamp on it and popping it in the post.
However, I think this is one of those cases of 'don't knock it till you've tried it', I am a fan of electronic greetings cards. A lot of my computer wiz kid mates introduced me to e-cards, and that is how I began using them. I think when you try something new, you are recommended it by word of mouth, and that is exactly what happened to me.
I have recently been sending my friends a Happy Birthday e-Card greeting when they are at work! They just said it was a really idea and that it brightens up their day. I have tried quite a lot of e-Card sites, and I have now found a really cool Free Happy Birthday Day e-Card site that I really like. This particular site has an awesome application where you can upload a photograph of yourself and incorporate it into your card. This is such a clever idea, and adds that personal touch, and as I already mentioned this particular site is totally free. I think e-Cards are definitely worth a try, they are not for everyone, but I am becoming a fan! Just wanted to share my findings with you all.Hope you find this useful, Have a good rest of your afternoon, Nicole.

anamika said...

@How do you Know - Welcome here! I am really thrilled to see new faces here! Thanks for the wishes!

@Nicole - Welcome here and thanks for sharing that cool link! Coz it has been a while since I tried sending an e-Card to anyone. Will try that site!

Anya Padyam said...

It has been a while since I said hello here:)...

Happy Friday! and have a great weekend!

അശ്വതി/Aswathy said...

Happy Belated B'day wishes.
Going back to old days is really fun.Thanks for such a lovely note.

anamika said...

@Aswathy - that is exactly why I love your blog too..the way you spell out old memories!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!! Loved reading your post... we share so much in common :)

anamika said...

@spillay - thanks for the wishes! So you hopped from ur bday post to mine!