Friday, February 13, 2009

Here or Somewhere Else


I am happy where I am now. I mean, the place and home where I live. I have friends and neighbors around this area who are so much part of our life, that it will be hard to live without them.

But I also wonder - is this where I am going to be for the rest of my life? I would like to say No. I would like to believe that life has so much more in store for me and my family. The mystery of it enchants me!

Life plays wonderful games (sometimes, yucky - I don't want that!) and you never know, where you will end up!

As much as I am used to where I am, I also dream of a place where I will be tomorrow - a totally new place, settling with my family and figuring out things around the new home. It could be close to where I live now, or it could be in a totally different place. I know I would enjoy driving around (B drives, I talk :-) ) finding connections between different small roads and guessing where the roads will lead to. New schools for kids. New work places.

The only risk I run here is ending up in a place where I don't have anyone to depend on/hold on. What is the guarantee that I will find folks as nice as I already know? How bold should one be to let go of all he has and move to a new place and start over - unless forced to?

I have that fear and hope towards a change too. I would love to look forward to a future with totally new experiences.

What do you feel? Can you think of moving from where you are now? Or not?

P.S. Thought process inspired by a girl friend B.

9 comments:

Sachita said...

:) Change for the sake of change?

UL said...

I dont think I am the right person to ask this - having never settled in a place as long as eight years..I feel the need to move on every now and then, it is the longest period I have ever been anywhere...I ejoy moving, starting over from scratch. Though I hated it as a kid, the best part is the ties I have made on the journey....i think it is adventurous, so my recommendation -dont hesitate, go for it. Your older one would not want to, but with time he will adjust and in the long run, he will see the advantages...

anamika said...

@Sachita - hmm, not right away, but thinking about future!

@UL - thanks for that note and the encouragement! Glad to meet someone who enjoys moving!

Laksh said...

I loved this post of yours. I think of it a lot. I love change. I love the whole process of moving, settling in, making new friends and getting acclimatized. Not sure if you have ever read Richard Bach. In "The Bridge Across Forever" the lead character talks about getting in the beginning part of a relationship. Experiencing the headiness of it all. I am exactly like that. Love that initial curve. Once the routine sets in, I start craving the excitement all over again. That probably explains why though I have not physically moved, I keep changing jobs, or signing up to do courses. Keeps me sated.

anamika said...

@Laksh - Good to know that about you! So looks like there are more adventurous folks here than the routine-lovers!

Anonymous said...

I guess, now I am in a settled mood at personal front.happy with my routine.Although we have plans to look for a bigger house, essentially for kid's play area, the whole process of selling, buying, moving etc want me to stay put. At work front, it is a whole different story though...change, bring it on!

Unknown said...

Anamika, my dad was in a transferable change, so we moved quite a bit and in hindsight it seems to be such a positive thing. I worry about getting bored in our current place. But somehow buying a house sets you in inertia mode, especially if you are happy where you are!

anamika said...

@shy - what a coincidence! We have similar thoughts too - dreams for bigger home for more space for everyone!Thanks for sharing!

anamika said...

@suman - yes, i can see your point too!Why move when there is no need!