Monday, February 23, 2009

Maa Tujhe Salaam



I was not a big Slum Dog Millionaire fan to begin with. When I saw the movie, I liked it, but wondered why people have to rave so much about it. Having said that, I was glad that ARR got nominated for Oscar even though I have liked other albums of his better than this. I got all set to catch the Oscar awards ceremony - I think, for the first time in my life! For the first time, there were people I recognize very well and a movie I watched that was contesting.

After B and kids dropped out, it was B's mom and me who continued watching - every time SM's name was called out, it was thrilling. It was a tough fight - with the commercials and the in-between items, the wait to get to ARR was killing us. The work week ahead threatened me and I switched the TV off at 11PM. The dream/sleep was revolving around my unfulfilled desire to watch the part where the music score award would be announced. I woke in the morning and switched on the iPhone - and I was super duper thrilled - ARR got it! B's dad and myself caught the news in TV - I was excited to hear there were 8 awards.

We debated about what the image of India in outside world would be after this movie. Is India projected as a country full of slums? Is it a negative image? I don't know. That debate is endless!

Is the victory of SM a victory for India? Yes, it sure is - listening to Resul Pookkutty, the technician who got the Oscar for sound mixing, I felt emotional and proud. Hearing ARR's Tamil
statement in the red carpet, I felt super proud. So here I am, in the morning, humming Jai Ho (all I knew is Jai Ho, nothing further than that 1 line!) and my song slowly morphed into one of ARR's patriotic number 'Maa Tujhe Salaam'! Everytime I heard 'Thai Manne Vanakkam' (Tamil version of Maa Tujhe Salaam) in Arattai Arangam's title song, I used to be filled with the same pride and excitement! I am happy for the recognition Indian cinema artists have got in the world cinema through this Oscar!

5 comments:

Laksh said...

I watched it fully and agree with what you say. Was thrilled to hear ARR in Tamil :)

Anya Padyam said...

I totally totally totally agree with what you say - It is like you picked the words right out of my thoughts:)

Tamil and Hindi in Oscars -- not bad, huh?

Anonymous said...

I also watched the oscars fully and am so happy for Rahman and
Pookutty.Thay have done India proud.Hoping India produces more Oscar winners.I loved SM very much too.

-Anila.

anamika said...

@All - thanks for voicing your happiness here!

Unknown said...

Sure, was totally thrilled to hear ARR speak in Tamizh. Just the other day, I was hearing to Kathal Rojave and had goosebumps - he deserves a lifetime achievement award just for that one song!