Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My first AAA Call


Yesterday, after cruising in Gear 2 and D alternately, on snow-filled slushy roads for 2 hours, I reached home before it got dark. Thanks to my manager who said I should leave soon before it gets too bad, I started around 3 and reached home by 5.15PM.

Needless to say, I started out nervous, hearing about the accidents everywhere. All through the way, I went slow and when I reached the highway, there was no need of effort to be slow. It was crawling anyway, so one could in no way compromise safety by going fast. Jam started way before usual Jam point! And it took ages to get to my exit. It was too cold , so I had my heat on and then I would sweat and feel suffocated. I would reduce the heat and then very soon, I felt cold again. I called B with my blue tooth device - I had no idea how bad the local roads after my exit would be. Felt like talking to my family! They were getting ready to play in the snow! What is fear for me is fun for my kids! What an irony!

After taking my exit, I remember feeling wierd. It is as if something is dragging the car and not letting it go by easily. Some friction. I thought - oh, this must be what they mean by driving in snow! Reached home safely with a sigh of relief!

I mentioned to B about the funny dragging feeling. I always feel such things, while driving, so it is hard to say when it is real and when it is not. But B pointed to the tire today morning and said - "You have a flat tire!". I feel proud (just kidding!) to think that I was driving with this flat tire on the slick roads for 15 minutes before getting home.

I made the first call to AAA. Today being my work from home day, the car was ready and I also was home. I called them and confirmed that we indeed are members still and when I said "I have a flat tire. Can anyone come and fix this for me?". The lady replied back with full enthusiasm - "Of course, sure!". I felt a great relief and a sense of accomplishment, having initiated the call and using AAA services. After paying the membership fees for years, this is the first time I call them for help - thank God, I was not calling Roadside Assistance yesterday from "roadside", but I was able to call them from home today.

Just now the courteous towing company fellow finished changing the tire and said, "All done"!and left! B, aren't you thankful to me for not having you change the tire in the cold today? This was absolutely free and felt really convenient! Three cheers to AAA!


12 comments:

Scribbler said...

Yes, it is indeed better to have services while stationary or @home than while driving!

Hope the whole season is over without any incidents. BTW, when are you posting the review of 20/20? :)

Anonymous said...

You let a "Binny" sneak in there instead of your usual "B". ;)
Glad you got home safe.

anamika said...

Anonymous, tum kaun ho..kahan ho?Can you identify yourself?

anamika said...

@SJ - have not found the time for it yet, might throw in a brief review!

@Anonymous - is it shy? Anyway, thanks for the catch, I fixed it!

UL said...

AAA huh :) I was on the road when I first made the call, flat tyre...though at the time I only had a donut to replace mine...and I had to drive 30 miles home on the turnpike at the speed of 15 miles an hour! That sucked :)...though now I look back with a smile...

Anonymous said...

hey anamika, it wasn't me. you still have to chase the anon.

My first call to CAA was when at home too for flat tyre. yeah, driving to a garage on a donut freaked me out then..like many other things, in nindsight feel pretty stupid of being so freaked out:)
shy

anamika said...

@UL - caught your post in your space. We must have been in the car cursing the traffic the same time?

@Shy - ya, I think I might also be laughing at how I freaked out, years from now!

Anonymous said...

Glad to know you reached home safely.I might also have freaked out in such a situation.Tuesday morning my car slid a little bit on the road when i applied the braes.Fortunately no vehicle came from the opposite direction and i was able to straighten the car.

-Anila

Sachita said...

Driving in snow with Flat tyres is the most dangerous thing. I am sure the next time, you would be able to feel/identify the flat tyre and please stop. Glad you are ok.

I am sorry for the advice:) but couldn't help it.

Unknown said...

Anamika,

Reminded me of a couple of my experiences:


http://zigma-an.livejournal.com/2007/12/16/

http://zigma-an.livejournal.com/tag/eventful

Glad you made it ok in the snow. Driving in the snow can be a nerve racking experience!

Anonymous said...

Just came upon your blog from Laksh's! Glad you got home safely - I probably would have taken even longer!

And it reminds me that I should really get a AAA membership too!

anamika said...

@Anila - I dread the thought of slipping, wonder how I will do when it actually slips! Good job with your experience!

@Sachita - thanks for the advice. I
appreciate your concern.Later I learnt that it was nail that must have got into the tire on the snow drive.

@Suman - I will hope over to read your accounts now.

@Bavany - welcome here! Have seen you at Laksh's comments!Yes, AAA membership is handy in such situations.