Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lay Offs

Three years back, it used to be a threat when we heard people at work talked about 'layoffs' and 'reduction of head count'. Eh, summa solraanga, appidi ellam onnum nadakkathu..that was my reaction to it. When you hear of an upcoming event like that, rumors float around and you pray to God. "Oh God, please not me. And not now". And one day, it did happen. Luckily I was not affected, but witnessing close friends pack their things and leaving the company within the notice of an hour or so, my heart ached.

I have seen that people who got laid off just got new jobs and are doing good now. It probably turned out good for them, in one way or the other.

And I heard of a similar layoff in my old company recently. I feel sad hearing the names of people I know, some close friends and some acquaintances.

It reminds me of the day I received the termination letter from the Indian consulting company I worked for. I was 7 months pregnant and my contract with the client ended due to the client's budget issues. And quite coolly, the company who employed us and processed our H1 visas let me go. This was within 1 year of our moving to US and we never had an idea of terminations/lay offs in India. This was the time when recession was at its peak. The company knew that if they keep me they will have to pay for my maternity benefits etc. Hmm, I cried a lot for some days. That is probably the first kind of rejection I am getting from any institution.

Over time, I consoled myself as it was so obvious that they did it for financial reasons and not because of my inability to perform. It suited my situation to be home with my baby then. And I eventually started working an year later.

It must be a painful moment when you hear the news. And you are shocked. Most people did not have a clue that their name could be in the list. Some of them were rated as exceeding expectations for performance reviews and yet were laid off. It used to be with great pride that we would say the name of the company we work for. There was a bond that was formed over time. But all of that could come to an end quite unexpectedly. It seems that it is better not to get too attached to anything ever. It is only practical that you don't fool yourself with such ideas as my company and my team. For people like me, it is hard to remember not to get attached.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feeling of rejection is hard...:(
Layoffs are always hard, even if you know beforehand and are sort of prepared for it...

How are things? How are N & N? Say Hi to B?

-Just someone

anamika said...

@JS - Ya, athu kettittu njan desp aayi! Remember our old 'desp' phrase!
N&N are having fun at Miss B' place. Nikhil is waiting for school to open.
B is fine. His school will begin the same day too.

UL said...

kure naalaaayi, despennu paranju kettitu - welcome back Anamika, I have to catch up on many of your posts, hope to do it over the weekend, but this caught my eye... i agree with you- it is never easy. the emotional upheaval is something I couldn't endure...

Scribbler said...

I read this piece last week, and this week, we had an acquisition which resulted in the casualty of a dear colleague. I hate to say it is a coincidence since I am a strong believer in fate. Just wanted to say that this subject 1strikes a common chord. I wrote a piece on the acquisition on my blog. Check it out if you have time to waste :-)