Friday, January 25, 2008

On blogging

The stream of thoughts and confusions that struck me when I started to think of blogging. That is what this post is about.

The bunch of blogs that I frequent are typically authored by Indians and sometimes South Indians. Majority of them are ladies, some are guys. I am amazed at the courage demonstrated by all those ladies in sharing what is going on in their lives. I am very doubtful if I will be able to share all that is going on in my life with such openness and boldness.

Here is a list of questions I would like to collect answers from bloggers out there.

Do you feel comfortable writing things as is? Or do you leave the unpleasant parts out or tailor the posts to be more polished?

Do you feel compelled to write everyday? Or does it come to you naturally?

Would you write what you want to write on against what will receive more comments/responses?

Do you establish contacts and try to maintain it with the people who comment on your blogs?

Is there an element of competition/comparison with other bloggers that you feel sometimes?

Have you had any personal problem/argument with anyone related to anything you posted?Just yes or no and how you dealt with it.

I am yet to commit to regular blogging due to these questions in my mind. FRANK answers, please!

Hope to hear from some!

11 comments:

Laksh said...

Check my blog for answers :)

UL said...

Greetings from a fellow-Tvmite - if there's such a term ;) looks like we might have more than blogging in common, esp. if you lived in Tvm...would love to take this offline. I loved this post, btw. I will compose an opinion and get back to you shortly.

A-kay said...

Came here from Laksh' musings. Good questions. Check my blog for my views.

anamika said...

@UL - great! You have my email address, right? sujatha.subramanian@gmail.com. Are you in Philly/Malvern?
Will look for your reply!

@a-kay: yes I saw it. Posted a comment too.Thanks

anamika said...

@Laksh - thanks to you, a post in my blog saw some good response! I am thrilled to see the answers!

UL said...

I just sent you a mail and my response is up at my site. Thanks for this prompt, got my hands working. :) Happy Friday.

A Movie Watchdog said...

Q.1) Do you feel comfortable writing things as is? Or do you leave the unpleasant parts out or tailor the posts to be more polished?
Yes, I like my facts naked. Don't write much personal stuff in my blogs anyway. Most of the unpleasant parts in my writing could be attributed to global warming, raciscm, recession etc which are not usually altered by tailors.

Q.2) Do you feel compelled to write everyday?
No. But I've kept both my blogs alive for the last five years.
Or does it come to you naturally?
Yah, especially when I am in the shower. There is some bizarre positive connection between warm water on the cranium and neuron activity.

Q.3) Would you write what you want to write on against what will receive more comments/responses?
WIWIWYG - What I Want Is What You Get, comments or no comments The ratio of comments to posts in my blogspot blog will be around 1:999 or something. If I was a comment-whore that blog might have been history by now.

Q.4) Do you establish contacts and try to maintain it with the people who comment on your blogs?
Yes, used to long time back(2002? 2003?) as a wonder-eyed first time blogger, esp. on LJ. Not any more, my bad.

Q.5) Is there an element of competition/comparison with other bloggers that you feel sometimes?
Comparison: Probably yes, readers(if there are any) might compare. Com-petition: Haven't signed that 'petition' yet, blame my lazy ass.

Q.6) Have you had any personal problem/argument with anyone related to anything you posted?Just yes or no and how you dealt with it.
No personal problems, I rarely get personal with people, neither do my blogs(just like my dogs.) But many of my posts(on LJ) were written to indulge/involve in lively intellectual debates/discussions with fellow thinkers, that was fun.

anamika said...

@Alaskan Indian - Cool! Thanks for frank answers!Glad that I could tempt you to respond to one post, at last!
Guess my problem with blogging is that I don't have anything other than personal things to write about and hence my confusion! Thanks again!

A Movie Watchdog said...

If you want to have steady 'following' of readers personal things take the cake. Everyone is a voyeur at some level :P

btw where are your answers? A meme goes both ways, right?

Rupa said...

hey, I did this too...picked it from laksh..great job...enjoyed doing it...

http://rupasivanarayana.wordpress.com/

anamika said...

@alaskanindian - Blogger was down when i tried to post the reply to you.The questions originated from my mind. I am not a regular blogger and I wondered what regulars would have to say for these questions I have. I learnt somethings from the responses - like one could evolve to be more open! Once I become a regular blogger, I may be in a position to answer my own questions!

@rupa - Welcome here! Will read your response at your page!