Wednesday, June 18, 2008

One year back..same day..kya hua..

In the beginning of last year, I started looking out for a change of job.

Some emotions I recollect are:
-Determination to do something about my life then.
-Apprehension about what my value will be in the job market.
-Attending calls/sending job related emails stealthily.
-Receiving the call that I am being offered the job was a Eureka moment, but I was keeping my reaction controlled!
-Worried about the long commute in the highways, B and I did some test drives.

Just a week before the joining date, I resigned the previous job and then went on the already planned cruise to Bermuda. Just B and me. Even when we were in the cruise, the tension of the new work place and the highway-fears peeked here and there.

I joined the present job EXACTLY one year back (June 18,2007) . (BTW, on a side note, B and I also completed 8 years in United States on June 13, 2008....time flies!)

I was absolutely having nothing much to do in the initial months.The transition from the desi atmosphere in my old job to the 'apne kaam se matlab rakho' (let us all mind our own businesses!) culture here was really tough for me. I felt alienated and isolated, but I learnt to live it the way everyone lives it here. Walks along the riverside with the cell phone hooked to my ears, I started finding my avenues.

One such avenue I discovered was the world of Blogs. Reading Laksh everyday, I was inspired to start my own and soon I did. I did have a website from before (Sujathaworld.com) , but I did not feel like changing anything there. What I was really in need of, is exactly this blog that you are reading now. Thanks for the inspiration, Laksh!

Then came the busy Fall season, and I had no time to breathe. Another period of lull in the winter and another crazy Spring work season. I really enjoy the work when I am busy. The job demands working through weekends and late nights, but now I know to look forward to the end of the season and chug through it.

Thanks, Laksh, UL, JustSomeOne, Suman, Akay, Anila, Noby, Achayan (my Mr.B) and my Appa for being the good e-Pals that you are. Your comments brighten my day and inspire me to write more. Writing by itself is enjoyable, but when I hear back from you, I am glad that I'm heard and I am connecting with you all.

In the tunes of old Hindi song, SAU SAAL PEHLE MUJHE TUMSE PYAR THA..I would like to sing the below lines!

ek saal pehle, mujhe blog se pyar hua...aaj bhi hai ....aur kal bhi rahega!

Athu s(h)ari, wonder how I connected my job anniversary to my blog career. You can tell I am waiting for some new task at work, right!! Ciao!

11 comments:

Noby M. Joseph said...

Good One. Time flies...Pakshe pazhaya kaaryngal ayavirakkam oru sugham alle.

Anya Padyam said...

Keep writing! and we love your frequent posts:)
... not a day goes by without checking to see if you have posted...

here's to many many many more anniversaries:)

Unknown said...

Thrilled to see my name in the list. Thanks! and please know that the feeling is mutual.

Congratulations on your one year anniversary on this job. Wishing you an accomplished career going forward. Collars up on going beyond your comfort zone. Enjoy the lull when it lasts.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

asugur said...

keep up the good work.

asugur said...

Hi,
I just went through your other website.I just want to let you know that we have a lot in common.I studied in nirmala bhavan from 2nd to 10th std (1996),did my PDC from women's college(1996-1998),Civil engg from college of engg trivandrum(1998-2002).Now doing Parttime MS in struct engg from villanova univrsity and working as a struc engg in a local firm in berwyn.
I guess your music teacher from Chinmaya Vidyalaya must be Uma Saraswathy who is my Amma's cousin.She has two daughters.Her younger daughter sings well.And saraswathy maami sang for my trivandrum wedding reception.

Anonymous said...

dey, congrats on both anniversaries. I have tagged you here. It's not just you, I can play tag too :P.

anamika said...

@all - thanks for your wishes! nice to have a mini-web family!

UL said...

Hey, thank you for the mention. Hope you are all set to fly soon...keep blogging, we love these moments from your life -happy anniversary btw(job, wedding, blogging ;)) Take care, UL

Laksh said...

Wonder how I missed this post! Love the new look and feel of your blog. The feeling is reciprocal you know! Belated wishes on the anniversary.

Mampi said...

Oww the song bit was cute.
I am a new visitor to your blog. WIll return for more I m sure.
COngrats on your anniversary. God bless you with more.

anamika said...

@UL,Laksh - thanks for the wishes!
@Manpreet - Welcome! And thanks for taking the time to comment!Hope to see you more!