Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Break The Rules

Looks like B and I are really enjoying this time. Mr.Nikhil seems to be enjoying all the way at his grandparents' home in Trivandrum. Seeing him smile and laugh and talk to us on the phone tells us he is not terribly missing us. That means that we do not have to worry about his being unhappy for a while.

Going back to life with 1 kid is an interesting experience. When I am cooking, now, I can focus on just one kid's interests. Smaller quantities suffice. It is quiet period at work for both of us and B does not have any classes to take. No driving around for any child activities. It seems like we have plenty of time at hand in the evenings. So, even though, we have not verbally declared it,we have been breaking some family rules and taking it easy.

1. If you don't feel like cooking, don't. Can split a veggie pizza and be done with it. Can explore a new place to eat out, because we wont be doing a lot of this when school reopens.
2. If you are in the mood to drive around, just get up and go. Can be impulsive now as it wont affect a school-goer's schedule. No planning needed.
3. Watch movies every week day night and sleep really late.
4. No forced bedtime. Nithin hangs out with us watching movies and we don't put him to bed right on time. He enjoys the time with us.

It is good to break the rules, once in a while. Helps us to go easy on ourselves, now that the schedule permits it. We are enjoying it.

Side-effects: Nithin says 'Amma, let us go downstairs and watch a movie'. When the car takes the turn towards home, he says 'more shop' meaning 'I don't want to go home'.

Positive side effects: Some improvement on Nithin's potty training since we now have the patience to entice him into 'flushing' the toilet. Also, I have been able to read books to him and he is all thrilled to listen to me. I am now reading a book myself. Ages since I have attempted this.

See you tomorrow!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was smiling to myself as I read this post. Having one kid changes your life. Now I think, having two kids changes your life even more!

Now I wonder, what was I doing with all the time I had before Atul arrived!

Anya Padyam said...

Nice to see frequent posts:) our hello to B :)

...break the rules:) even if discreetly... its fun;)

anamika said...

@suman - i know! Time/being busy is all relative, right..i am relatively free these days, but I managed not to go to gym for more than a week..I have been to the gym when it was super crazy at work!

@js - thanks for the encouragement..hey..results vanno? and why dont u come here?

UL said...

yay...i agree with suman and JS, one kid changed my life ...and yes, more posts, keep them coming. :)

Mampi said...

Interesting, BTW what is the age of both?

anamika said...

@manpreet - 7 and 2.5 years.