Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It is concert time again!

No, I am not talking about musical adventures by me or B. This is the Grade concert in my son's school. Tonight is the third graders concert. It is that time of the year again. We all have to be there early enough to guarantee a parking spot. We have to stand in the line outside the doors shivering in the cold, if you want a fairly good spot for seeing the kids and recording them in camcorder.

It brings back memories of the past 3 years. I still remember how astonished and impressed I was when I heard the Kindergarten students perform. I was surprised because Nikhil did not mention anything to me about the songs or what the deal was with the concert. I never once heard him singing at home, so the whole concert was a total surprise to me. The kids sang so well, it was damn cute to see their actions. This experience built so much of an expectation that I felt unimpressed on the first grade concert. And then there was second grade concert. I don't recall much of these - but it has become a historical event to us.
It is a tradition now that we save the print outs the school distributes with all the song names and the names of the kids. This goes into the scrapbook I edit once in a year with Nikhil's works. And after the concert, it is another tradition to take him to the Icecream shop. The Brusters close to home was the first stop in first two years, I think. Then they closed the shop down forever, so we had to hit the Dairy Queen near by. Nikhil still recalls how tasty the icecream was in the Brusters.
Time flies, I could say. It is already 3rd grade concert. I am looking forward to the evening and the traditions associated with it.

5 comments:

shy said...

thye have a way of impressing and surprising us!

great traditions!have greta fun and enjoy the ice cream too!

GOPAL said...

Nikhil - blast it today and in your style. All the very best.

anamika said...

@shy - yes, shy! The icecream shop was instantly crowded with kids from his school - Nikhil was so excited to see them all!

@Gopal - thanks uncle! on behalf of Nikhil - anamika!

UL said...

wow, does all schools have these? that is awesome...way to go Nikhil

anamika said...

@UL - I would think all schools have this. Music teacher makes all students sing for a concert once an year. I have seen that his schools has this concert for every grade's students.