Friday, June 26, 2009

That One Long Minute

The test was 4 hours long. The past two weeks have been so hectic and strenuous with preparing for the PMP certification exam. I had a red jute bag full of PMP books and I would set out to either Barnes and Nobles or the Penn State Great Valley campus. I had 'my' sofas in both the places. My little corners of study where I could open a book and forget about the rest of the world. I had put in my best with full support from all at home.

But the questions are so tricky with two answers that are really close. Every answer I clicked, I was trusting my instinct based on what I studied. After one pass through all questions and a second pass through the 'Mark for Review' ones, my thoughts centered around the what the outcome is going to be. I tried to shake those thoughts away telling myself the outcome is going to be based on what I do NOW. As there was only 1 minute, I thought - I have done all I could and I would really be broken if I don't make it! I prayed to God because that is all that I could do now. My heart was thumping so hard I could hear it distinctly as if it were on the table, next to the keyboard.

A survey screen about the testing center followed. I clicked through choices like 'Excellent' and 'Good' for the survey. The survey ended and I waited for the screen to refresh with the result of the exam.

The white blank screen refreshed and I could read the word 'Congratulations, you have passed the PMP examination'. My joy knew no bounds. It was the moment for which I worked hard. But I realize that the result could very easily have been the other way - had some questions been more tough, had I clicked a different choice for some answers. As I gathered the print out of the 'success' screen, I was truly happy. After the day I got laid off, this is the first day of achievement.

I called B and told him the result. He was thrilled. He told Nikhil who was in the car. And Nikhil said "Look, Amma, I told you anything can be DONE on my birthday". Yes, he turned 8 on the same day. The evening was spent in Olive Garden with family where we got the waiters sing a surprise birthday song for him and he truly was surprised and shy!

12 comments:

Laksh said...

Congratulations and Celebrations!!!

Sachita said...

congrats, anamika:)

Anya Padyam said...

Congratulations!!!

That's awesome...

anamika said...

@Laksh,@Sachita and @JS - thanks gals! Happy to see your notes!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!Well done.Wish you all the best for the future.

Anila

GOPAL said...

Congratulations............! keep it up
Gopal

Anya Padyam said...

So, what is up next? Any further developments?

shy said...

double double!
Congrats to you anamika and Happy Birthday to Nikhil.

Very happy for you and that ek pal is closer even!
God bless

UL said...

Hey congrats - was not in the blog world for a little while...very happy for you....and a wonderful bealted wish for Nikhil :)

Sunitha said...

I can totally understand your feeling at that time. Congrats that you completed it successfully. All the hard work you put in has shown its results.
Belated birthday wishes to Nikhil

nikkuthinks said...

Is that when I said anything good can happen on my birthday?

anamika said...

@nikkuthinks - yes,da!