Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Time for myself


Morning goes by making breakfast and making sure kids eat. Day goes by driving to work, work and driving back home. Evening time flies by with dinner and homework and Kumon with Nikhil. In between, there are tiny snippets of fun time with Nithin's pranks and him surprising us with newly learnt words (yesterday he said, correction - a term we use a lot with Nikhil's Kumon work and 'spelling test' pointing to Nikhil's weekly spelling sheet.). If there are more snippets of free time, loading/unloading dishwasher or folding laundry clothes eats them up.

I have been longing to do something for myself - I think of watching a very good movie! I think of picking up my old movie song jot down book and sing aloud! I think of picking up 'Oru Deshathinte Katha' - the Malayalam novel I brought from India and read it. I think of uploading those pictures which friends have been asking for, forever. I think of giving the elliptical a workout! Before I know, my mind wanders into the TODO list again, deviating from the quest for fun to the satisfaction of getting things done. It is always a battle between productive work and relaxation - when you go for relaxation, work piles up and stares at you - 'How could you..?'

And there at bed time, kids want me to lie down with them. Nikhil says it in words and Nithin too, in his own way and his cries. So here I lie down with both kids hugging me from both sides (should confess I love that!) - there is another battle going on at that point. My mind is fully awake and wants to do the things I listed above. My body weakens with each moment. I start yawning in a minute. We have some serious talks about life - Nikhil and me. He shares a secret or two occasionally. And soon he says, 'I want to sleep. No more talking'.

He is fast asleep - while Nithin takes some more time. Each minute in the bed weakens my determination to get up! After all, I am doing B a great favor by putting the kids to bed so he can study peacefully! And every night, I pass one moment where I know both the kids are now asleep, and I am slowly sinking into sleep. I know that if I get up that moment, I can probably enjoy some quiet time with my books/TV. I remember thinking of all this and I am already zzzzz..!

So, what you see in the picture is what I want now!
Tell me what is it that you like to do - to get that feeling that you took care of your mind?

7 comments:

Bewildered said...

Ahhh.... I Think I just accomplished mine by simply reading ur post and seeing that picture- Thank you. Ur posts are such a breath of fresh air!

Anonymous said...

good story! the pic made me turn dark green( how did she manage this?).
interesting, i do the same with kids, both wants to snuggle with me to go to sleep and I oblige. like now, close to midnight, this ismy personal time first to catch up with my fav blogs, news papers Times of india, Deepika and then do the work i brought home. i like it and i enjoy it.
hope one day you send me the same pic with you there, doing the thing you enjoy.
God bless
shy

അശ്വതി/Aswathy said...

As s said, ur posts are such a breath of fresh air.
Nice postand good picture.I too 've a long list of things to do....(endless).
Once i felt i should find time for reading and went to trvm public library, took membership.Now i goes to library almost regularly with my son.
Hope u too can do it with involving ur nithin or nikhil in it.

Unknown said...

I loved this post and can relate to it so well. I crave for "me" time all the the time, and manage to slip it in here and there.

When I used to cuddle with Atul and sleep, I always ended up sleeping before he did. But woke up really early in the morning to get some "me" time.

Atul sleeps by himself these days. I feel tad guilty for making him do that, but he joins us 1ish, so sorta win-win situation.

I read, catch up with blog, and occasionally revise my dance steps in my "me" time.

anamika said...

@s - HaHa! That was sweet!
@shy - interesting to know your interests!
@aswathy - Good old Palayam library! Used to go there during school vacation times! Yes, we too have a library routine - but need to be more regular! Hey, who is the girl in your picture? How old is your son?

@suman - nice to know!That explains your post on Dhananjayans - so did you learn classical dance? Did not know about that aspect of your interests!

UL said...

:) I missed out on this...I was thinking along similar lines as you would have noticed, I do catch the 'me' time...whenever I can...sometimes repenting later. :)

anamika said...

@ul - yes, I can see that from your posts! 8 is the magic number!