Thursday, April 17, 2008

Karaichu Vartha Dosai

Yesterday evening, when I had to make a quick decision of what to make for the rest of the family coming home after activities, I decided to put the remaining dosai maavu to use.

What is Karaichu Vartha Dosai?
It means - you mix different kinds of flours, dissolve them in water and make dough out of it to make dosai. I added wheat flour/atta, maida and rava to the left over dosai maavu (which was not enough to feed more than 1 person!) and made dosai with it! I then garnished each dosa with onions, green chillies and curry leaves sliced super-thin. When I turn the dosa with the garnishes upside down and turn it back up, it was gratifying to see all the onions roasted well!

This can be fixed quickly, provided you have people who love to eat it. My sons reject the dosa with any topping, so I did not put the toppings on for them. Surprisingly, they were so hungry and they did not crib about the different color and texture compared to the regular dosa.B was also hungry, so thankfully, he did eat the dosa with some approval symptoms!

Then I decided to blog about all the dosas it reminded me of. After all, dosa is one thing I can eat any number of times a day. And it is unfair that I have not blogged about it!!

1. My Ammamma's (grandma) karaichu vartha dosai. I cannot make the same kind of dosai she used to make. The maavu used to be so watery and she would just pour it over the tawa and not spread it. It was awesome.
2. Khali dosa of Kadambam, Bangalore. There were 2 dosas in one order - thin and tasty.
3. Dosa from Brindavan Hotel, Bangalore. Kind of homely. Different from Sukh Sagar ones.
4. Amma's in Virginia used to serve Onion Chilli Masala Dosa. When I was pregnant with the first one, we were in Virgina then. I used to go there on weekend evenings to have that. I used to abbreviate the name as OCMD. The ones I made today were close to be called OCMD missing the masala part. OCD! I am not referring to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder here.

Readers, would love to hear about the yummiest dosas you have had in your life!

10 comments:

Laksh said...

I love set dosas you get in darshinis in Bangalore. That apart the Woodlands drive in at Chennai serves up the most delish dosas ever. Annapoorna in CBE and of course Kadambam in BGL and Ganesh Dosa Camp in Jayanagar.

Man! you are making me hungry :)

anamika said...

@laksh - your list has all the popular names..I have been to Annapoorna long time back..will remember these names to check out sometime..

Anya Padyam said...

Dosas are my favorite:)-the good ol' plain dosa and chutney:)I could live on dosas for days, breakfast, lunch and dinner... reading abt all the dosas make me hungry!

shreyas said...

I enjoyed the posting on "Karaichu Vartha Dosai"

I am also a "Dosa Priyan". Whenever we go out for eating, my order will always be dosa, and my children often make fun of me that I will order a dosa in a chinese restaurant also. I always hit the dosa counter first, when we attend a party or wedding reception.

I can survive on dosa-only diet for months together. I remember my years in Tiruchy, when my wife & children used to go away promptly on 31st March to her home town Ernakulam for summar vacation, and return only on 1st june, when the schools reopen. Dosa used to be the only staple diet for me during those two months. On sundays, I used to prepare the dosa maavu for a week and store in fridge. Morning breakfast & dinner was always dosa with mouth watering Mango chutney, made with raw sour mango plucked fresh from the backyard.

In my bachelor days, during our week end visits to Tiruchy with friends, we used to relish the dosa at Ajantha hotel served with 4 to 5 variety of chutneys. The dosa used to be very soft and neither crisp & oily like the paper roast nor very thick like the uthappam.

During our visits to Ernakulam, my brother-in-law used to take us to a place near MG Road after second show movies. They serve 32 variety of dosas well past midnight. "Thattil Kutty Dosa" (7 to 8 small palm size dosas in a plate) used to be hit among kids.

Recently, when I was in Bangalore for two months to re-do my flat, I enjoyed the set dosa at a small old-time restaurant at 7th cross, Margosa road, opposite to Malleswaram club.

The Yummiest dosa i ever had was the "kalchatty Dosa" my mother used to make. It will be thin & crisp at the outer rim and soft&thick at the centre like aappam.

Of course, I always relish whatever my wife serves me in the name of dosa.

S Sankaran

anamika said...

@just someone - i know! same here..anytime of the day!

@shreyas - welcome here, sir!And it was interesting to go through your account of dosa experiences. You are very much like my dad - I tease him for the same thing - he will eat dosa/idli wherever he goes..never tries soemthing new! Haha!

A-kay said...

Dosas reminds me of Dosa Camp - the variety of dosas and the way the waiters juggle with 20 plates of dosas in their hands and the long lines outside -God! the best dosas ever :) Of course, I love dosa from Kadambam and also our good old HSB - the onion rava dosa here is awesome!

I am craving dosa now :)

Noby M. Joseph said...

I like the appam and dosa we make in Kerala. I miss those. Also the set dosa from BLR with "kuzhi" in it. Yummy.

UL said...

who doesnt like dosas,huh? my favorite is..hmm i love every one of them, so tough choice..

Swarna said...

You're right. This mixed dosa is really an 'instant' item. Sometimes I add ragi flour or rice flour, and some sour curds for a variation. And of course have it straight out of the tawa!

Achayan said...

It was really tasty