Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Aunty, eh!

After I crossed 30, my mental age has not changed much. I still think of me as the same old person ( note this usage of 'old' does not pertain to age!). Also, whomever I talk to who looks like my age, I assume she is my own age. If I can communicate to someone in the same wave length as mine, I assume they are my own age!This has given me some interesting shocks!

I still think of me as a fresh graduate from College! But somewhere down the lane, I never realized that what people perceive in me is much different from my mental image of myself!

Being the mother of two kids, people have promoted me from 'chechi' or 'akka' to 'aunty'!Last weekend, we attended a wedding. There was this girl I met in the women's room and she was feeding her infant. She had an older kid who is my second one's age. She called me 'aunty'! I am like - you have 2 kids and I too have 2 kids...what makes me more of an aunty! Of course, I did not say that to her. I smiled and came back.

The converse is also true - I think of Mr.X as 'uncle' assuming he is close to 40 (or at least 6-8 years older from me). I am still holding on to the mental image of 'uncle figure' from years back!
But when I know their real age, I am so shocked, I am only 1 or 2 years younger to the 'uncle'. So he is not so much of an uncle. But I have become more of an aunty!

To top it all, last year, I recall someone called from our church and they were asking for some contribution. They just addressed me 'Ammachi' right away! The person who spoke thought that he has got his name into the good books of the eldest member of the family - or at least that was his idea. You are not going get a penny out of my pocket if you do that! Do I sound like Kaviyoor Ponnamma or Manorama! (Now that is a rhetorical question! Shh..!)

Nevertheless, I would like to hang on to this mental feeling of age. It helps me to relate to younger people's feelings and understand them better. It helps me be approachable in case of problems. I prefer to be shocked like this once in a while..but I will hold on to my youth!



7 comments:

Laksh said...

Interesting post! Its true for me too. Only when I see the gray in my hair and look at pictures taken now vs ones taken a few years back I realize how much age has left its mark. Mentally though I still am stuck in the 1993 - 2000 :)

anamika said...

@laksh - 1993-2000 ..wow what a range! That is a wider range than what I am in!

Anya Padyam said...

I can totally relate to this:) - being called Aunty by mostly kids (even 'unki' by a cutie pie) - But it is always as though time standstil, must be because we interact with our own age group people :):) - a nice post,

UL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
UL said...

a perfect post and you wrote it so well :) reflected the growing old and not realizing it piece of human nature so well...but hey as long as you remain young in heart ...you know the rest ;),

so Aunty Anamika, what do you say about meeting another Aunty? ;) Surely not the best way to get into your good books :) ...only kidding :)

anamika said...

@JS and @UL - thanks for your comments, gals! Glad you are all with me on this!
@JS - LOL on the 'unki' part. Now Nithin started calling real uncles 'uncle'. May be next time when we meet, you will be termed aunty!

Noby M. Joseph said...

Hmm. Good one. I feel the same way as
you . If someone calls me uncle, I don't pay attention to that call but would respond to him/her forgetting the uncle part. I think Iam more comfy if they address me by name. :-)

Fact is that , we are getting older. I use to shave once a week but have to do more often now :-( . All because of white beard.