Friday, March 21, 2008

Adventurous dinner

After work, I went to pick up Nikhil and Nithin from the baby sitter's place. It was time to take him swimming again. Life has changed all of a sudden so much. Up until last week, I had the luxury of not having to worry about managing the younger one when the older one goes to an activity. But now I am alone with 2 kids till B comes back from Kuwait tomorrow.

I know , you guys are going, thank God, she will have to stop this 'alone with 2 kids' dialogue at least tomorrow! Ha Ha Ha! I think I am enjoying all the sympathy and attention I am getting from people for this reason!

Back to the story! It was a new instructor, a giant man, who looked to me exactly like the genie who appeared when Aladdin rubbed his lamp. He snubbed at me when I went to him with my usual 'please deal with my kid like this..' and told me 'lesser said the better'. Having convinced my son who watched me from far away, that I DID warn the instructor about not letting him under water too much, and feeling sheepish, I waited with Nithin on my lap. The class really went very well. The old man knew his way to work with kids.

The class was over and I was super hungry when we started our ride back. I was tempted to go to my favorite restaurant (Devi vegetarian) for dinner. I asked myself.
"Am I crazy venturing to go to a restaurant all alone with these 2 kids?".
The younger one I know would play with the water on the table, try not to sit in the high chair and for all you know, when I get my food in front of me, who knows if I can even eat once piece peacefully! I know B would not dare to take them.

On one side, was this fear. On the other side, were my hunger and the "yummy-veggie-South-Indian-food" thoughts.

I looked to Nikhil for some courage.

I tried to entice him. "Nikhil, do you want to eat pooris"
He replied quickly : "Yes, yes, yummy"

That was it. I will deal with the problem when it comes. There are 2 people now in the car wanting to eat out.I am going to Devi. Period.

We parked a bit far and walked when the wind almost blew us down. It was cold and so windy.
I kept my fingers crossed. We placed our order and the food came.
Contrary from usual, Nithin also did some good job with the food. Nikhil ate his pooris as a good boy. I ordered a dosa which was served in an oval plate as big as new born baby! Everything was good. And I thought 'everything is going so well. Ek coffee order karne ki gusthaakhi karoon? '
And I did. Nikhil got his usual mango lassi.

We left the place contented and not stressed out. Mission accomplished. Thank God for the adventure well done!

7 comments:

Laksh said...

Sounds like a fun adventure. Make sure your kids read this some day. makes for nice memories.

Anya Padyam said...

Nice! Fun day... hear abt Devi so much, maybe next time, we drop by, we can go there:)

anamika said...

@laksh - good idea, should do that!
@just someone - sure, come soon! I am always looking for excuses to go there!

UL said...

hey i loved the read too, on my own with my little monster at a restaurant gives me nightmares- you did wonderfully well with two children, where do you send your son for swimming lessons?
hope B's brother is better ?

anamika said...

@UL - Nikhil goes to YMCA for private lessons, it has been only few weeks though. We sent him earlier to WCU.

Yes, brother is better..!!

Bewildered said...

how refreshing to read atleast one experience that makes u beleieve in the notion that dinner with kids is enjoyable after all!! Kudos to the lil ones and Thank God!

Laksh said...

Have a lil something for you at my blog. Please stop by when you get a chance.