Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Last name and signature

Back in school, probably 7th grade or so, I practiced putting my signature. It was like I was preparing myself for a day when I will be asked to sign and oh my God, I have to work on it to be able to sign. Wherever there was free space in a piece of paper, I kept on signing and signing and practicing.
Back in India, there was no concept of last name in my family. We had an initial and that's it. So my signature also had my first name and initial.
After coming to US, I had to use last name everywhere starting from passport. But signature remained the same. Never had any issues there so far.
Recently a form I sent somewhere got rejected because they said my signature did not match my full name. My signature is what it is - why should it match my name! Grrr!
Whatever..I need the approval of the form..so I had to sign with my full name for the first time in my life. It felt weird.

7 comments:

shy said...

that sure is puzzling:) never heard anything like name and signtaure should match! and that too after all these years!

B.L. :) said...

That's really funny. I too remember how seriously I developed my signature because my 10th standard teacher told me that "what you sign on your hall ticket will be your sign for the rest of your life!". And we believed her too LOL. anyway I guess that person you dealt with went by the dictionary definition of signature, which is "the name of a person written with his or her own hand".

Bewildered said...

Signature isn't one's "Signature" anymore?!
You captured all our childhood love of creating a signature so well.
Hope the paper gets approved!

anamika said...

@shy - yes, that was funny!
@B.L - Welcome here! Keep commenting!
@S - It got approved!

UL said...

oh my! now that's scary! - as such my first name is my last name and vice versa, and listening to this...i am more confused!

sl said...

I remembered reading your post when I had to sign "my full name" in the citizenship forms last weekend. Strange feeing it was!

anamika said...

@sl - haha, that is funny that you thought of my post! We are about apply for citizenship soon. Let me know when you gets yours.