Tuesday, January 26, 2010

He amazed me

Of late, I have been carrying tension and worries from work place to home. In the evenings, it is about getting up early and driving 45 minutes to work. For a change, last Friday, when I got a verbal acknowledgement from my manager that my work is on track, I felt I should hold on to that for that whole weekend.
I left home to take Nikhil to his close friend's birthday party. My mind was light and I was joking to him and teasing him. We got on the car..and I decided to test him.
Wanting to see if he has noticed anything about my mood, I asked him.
"Hey Niks, what do you think about Amma today?"
I worded it such that it does not give him any clues that I am asking about my mood today. I wanted to see if he interprets it that way and if so, what does he think about my mood.
He said: "Amma, you are joyful and happy today"!
I was astonished - not only did he figure the meaning I intended, he also responded with the correct answer. It is true that the kids can see what all emotions we are going through. It affects them more than what we imagine. And they can understand everything!
I told him 'Kutta, I am impressed how well you read my mind'!

7 comments:

GOPAL said...

Children are very observative. They see and hear everything, whether you realize it or not. They do exactly understand their mother when with a smiling face or red hot. Niks you are great.

UL said...

oh yes, i can relate to this so much...commute really kills me...doesnt help that it is dark when i leave home and dark when i leave work...

shy said...

brought one big smile on my face. wonderful job Niks!

And you anamika, keep your worries out. If we go about doing that we can just keep doing that and gte frustrated, make ours and our loved ones' life miserable. It is not worth it girl. keep up your joyful self!

it is true my makkal also tell me 'mama today are mean to us' or ' mama you play around with us as if you are a kid like us'..aha. they observe both good and bad.

so deal, more joyful days?

anamika said...

@Gopal - true! Niks saw your comment and was thrilled.

@Shy - I know, Shy! Have a lot to learn..looks like as age goes by, I am becoming more immature..heee hee..! Deal..will try what you say!

UL said...

ayoo ente comment evide poyi? njanorennum ittirunnu...commute is killing is it not?changes our personality, causes health issues...i am talking me here...and kids are like sponge..they just soak up all our emotions whether we like it or not...

Anonymous said...

Came to your blog via a search on "Piya Ka Ghar" reviews. Good review, btw.

Couple of quick comments on this post:

> Shy said: mama you play around
> with us as if you are a kid like
> us

Shouldn't this be the very purpose of having kids...becoming kids and playing with them at their level. Most of the time, we carry too much baggage and our mind is elsewhere!

> looks like as age goes by, I am
> becoming more immature..

I am beginning to realize that being "childlike" is a boon. If maturity is being pre-occupied with worries and constant pursuit of material wealth, then I guess we should start choosing to be immature :)

I am pretty sure our kids can settle for a $1 million and a happy childhood than a few million and a lost childhood. And, if we stop to think about it, we would find it enjoyable as well.

Just my 2 cents. I will stay "nameless" as well.

anamika said...

@Anonymous - very well said! Thanks for expressing yourself here!'preoccupied with worries' - that is how I was. Getting better now. We have to put conscious effort to not do it.