Friday, October 31, 2008

Ding Dong..

Today evening, the door bell is going to ring many times. As I washed and wiped the fancy looking glass bowl to place the treats for trick-or- treaters, I took a walk down the memory lane.

Halloween did not mean much to me until Nikhil was three. We were invited to go around a friends' community with her kid. He could barely talk and after a round of houses, I was surprised to see him babbling 'trick or treat' and asking for candy to strangers in their homes. I remember being excited about dressing him up in Barney costume and going around with a pumpkin basket.I also remember B getting him a Thomas costume online one Halloween when every other store had run out of it. It was expensive, but we wanted to put a smile on his face!

Over time, we learned to be smart - reuse the costume if we can! For the past two years, our kids are Spidermen! As long as they are ok, we don't plan to change it. Thanks to a family friend's hand-me-down, Nikhil is HULK this year! In the Halloween parade at school, he was showing off his muscles!!

Nithin is all excited to wear a Spiderman costume. I am not sure if he remembers any of the last years rounds. This will be his first active halloween, I think.

Within few hours, we will all be walking around the community with the baskets. In Malayalam, there is a word called 'Thendal'. This is real thendal - walk around with basket and ask for candy!
"Bhavathi candy dehi"!

Seems to be a warm sunny day - so I hope it does not get very cold soon in the evening!
Happy halloween to all of you! Happy weekend - I missed saying this last Friday!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Halloween is so special, for the kids and the parents. For kids, of course, it's the candy and the costume. For parents, it's that grin and the twinkle in their child's face. So much excitement!

anamika said...

@suman - very well said!

Scribbler said...

I was laughing when you said about "Thendal". Its so true - kids out with the collection jars and all that. But as they say, When in Rome...

UL said...

"bhavathy candy dehi" ...that was hilarious my dear :)...your sense of humour had me giggling over here

anamika said...

@sj, @UL - that is how I always thought about this - going from door to door with a pathram! Like Sunil says, when in Rome..thanne!