Monday, August 13, 2007

Greeting Cards

I remember when I was in high school, I started getting interested in reading the contents of greeting cards. There was this small shop in Vazhuthacaud, Trivandrum close to Forest Office. My dad and I would go there for some reason and I would want to read all the cards. The sentimental lyrics caught me the most. I think at that time, I bought the birthday card for my Appa and gave it to him as a surprise when he turned 40. He was so happy and touched to get a card from his daughter for the first time.

Then as I grew up, in Ayurveda College, there opened the heaven of beautiful cards. It was rightly called Greetings Galaxy. We loved to spend hours there, browsing through the aisles of cards of different categories. I enjoyed the humor in some of the cards. These cards so well written that it was so tempting to buy them all and give it to someone. Some cards were so good that I would start thinking - who would I give it to, if I buy this one. We were in college by then, so there were always birthdays of close friends - we would buy cards that closely match our feelings to the friends - and fill up the entire card with more words - poetry, humor and heartfelt wishes.

Then there were stickers of so many kinds which would enhance the emotion or add to the decoration. It used to be a project to create and complete a birthday card for a friend and we all enjoyed every minute of it.

I remember Sunitha and me spending hours to write a card for our friend Kaveri's father's retirement. The amount of creativity we put it into it, and the opinion clashes that came as a result of it is enormous. But we enjoyed it and the end product was perfect.

Valentine' day etc were not of so much importance that time. I have given only very decent cards to my present day husband when we were college mates - when we used to stumble across cards with little bit of adult content, I used to feel they are yucky.Me and a friend used to wonder who in the world would even exchange these kinds of cards. We were too naive then. The way I was brought up, I still cannot somehow enjoy such kind of humor. All I cared about was sentiments, emotions and I am sure when close friends gave us cards, it really felt so good. We treasured them so much.
We used to keep track of birthdays of all the friends.

Saving money to buy a gift for close friends was equally enjoyable. Thanks once again to my dad whose money I have used for years to make my friends smile. The gifts were typically items you used to get in Galaxy kind of stores. We also bought shirts for boys. Audio cassettes of movie songs were the next top hit. Hair clips or ear rings topped the items for girl friends.

Years passed. Now I am married with 2 kids.How time changes is unbelievable. I never spend more that 2 minutes to pick a card. Mostly it is birthday cards for kids. Even when picking a card for an adult, I never have the time to relish the wordings anymore. And when writing the cards, I seem to have run out of all the stock of wordings I used to fill them with. It is a one liner and names of everyone in my family and that's it.

I am sure it is the same with many of you as well. If not, I really appreciate the effort and care you are taking to tell someone that you care. That is very important, after all.

6 comments:

minerva said...

Hey Sujatha - Then this is another common thread between us. Along with my friends Anitha & Lakshmi, I used to drop by at Greetings Galaxy (on our way back from tuitions) and spend hours there, reading all the cards! And these days, I hardly buy any cards

Unknown said...

Sujatha ! after reading this, i can hear the nostalgic bells ringing inside me again!!

All the shops that you have mentioned are still there, with huge collections of cards... with changed lay outs and even more sentimental words and quotes...
Only thing is people like us who are more glued to the e-world have moved miles away from this- once-very much a part of us-card shopping habit.


Where do we have time to remember a friend's birthday?

who bothers if anybody's friend's parent retires?

What if someone got a job?( "Congratulations on your new job" card given by u is a much valued card that i treasure till date )
Who cares if he/she is sick?


now emotions are much more tailor made and just a mouse click away....

neither we have to sit and think for hours to find a right word, nor do we have to quarrel over what to write.....
gone are those days dear, where our own creativity blended with the cards of our choices....

anamika said...

Hey minerva, I want you to know your blog inspired me to write this. And as you can see here, Sunita, my old old friend, is also here sharing the thoughts. So thanks for the inspiration. I also tried to inspire Sunitha to write a blog and read yours. Well, that keeps me going..thanks!

Akila Natarajan said...

Came here from Laksh's blog. Could relate to the Greeting card post very well. I have moved away so much from this, at times I even forget to wish my close friends on their bday - feels like it was eons ago, when I was looking at the cards @ Archies Gallery in Madras & Bangalore, buying and collecting cards. Almost like a lifetime before!

CHANDRAN said...

Hi Anamika,
Your notes make me remember about my early days when I was a student at trivandrum engineering college.I used to go to collect few cards for my parents at the same place.
You write very well.
Thanks,
Chandran

anamika said...

@chandran - I am from CET also. Nice to hear you could relate to the post. Which batch are you?