Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bidding Good-Bye and the emotions associated with it

As we stand on one side of the security check at the airport, while Appa and Amma are on the other, putting their hand bags in the conveyor belt for scanning, I felt helpless. I was wondering what more could I do at this point. The truth that we all will have to go back to our own lives, stared at me. Just 10 minutes before, I knew this moment will come and I can tell both Appa-Amma and me were dreading this moment. We don't want to break out into tears and make it awkward and difficult for each other. But the emotions associated with the good-bye moments were overwhelming us.

As B and the kids hugged them one by one, I did not know what to do. May be because the culture of hugging is not in our family, even though I am accustomed to doing it with US friends, wasn't I still not able to hug my Appa-Amma?

It was weird and it felt sudden when Appa just moved on to the line of security check. He did not want to break down. I could see that. Amma waved ta-ta at the kids and us too from the line.

As we watched them complete the processes and as I hoped he would turn back and see that I am still watching them, I could see them walk into the airport. He did not realize that we are still watching them. They don't have cell phone, so the only thing I could do was to wait for his call when they are completely settled.

Throughout the car ride back home, B and I were talking and talking about how life would be for them when they go back. To continue with my own life, there are challenges awaiting me.

Finally the phone rang after I had gobbled up yummy Appams at our friends' place in our street. Appa and I caught up. He sounded energetic and we laughed about surviving the emotional moment with minimal tears. As we walked home from the friends', we saw an airplane up in the sky and my younger one goes, "Amma, I think Thatha and Paatti are in that airplane" and waved at it!

The quiet of the home is not new to us. Whenever B's parents left, the front room has stared at us with the void. It was the same this time. The kids tried to find something that Thatha and Paatti have forgotten by mistake.

I hope everything goes well for my parents as they step into the retired life and restart life in Bangalore.

5 comments:

UL said...

Hope you are settled back by now... the time with them flies doesn't it, my own leaves next week...the house would seem empty afterwards, and my little girl will miss them immensely...but hey life moves on, it always does...but that doesn't make the present moment of their departure any easier, right?

anamika said...

You are right, UL! We know life will go on..but still dealing with good byes and the aftermath is not easy..I am slowly settling down..the whole week was jet lag for them..I felt similar too ..recovering from so much action to doing nothing with the boys!

Vaishnav Misra said...

Hey , I hope you are feeling better now.and appa amma have settled well in India.Beautiful writing.

shy said...

I hear you girl, my parents were visiting us in July. Though my sister was hosting them, the month was full of action.

I am becoming better with goodbyes..i noticed I was the only one not sobbing at the airport.

anamika said...

@Vaishnav - hey, you are still reading my pages! You missed an i in your name but I know who this is.Your words brighten my day!

@Shy - nice to hear from you. Good job on growing strong emotionally!