Friday, January 7, 2011

Snow and hours of phone chatter

Instead of drafting huge pages in my mind and never writing them out - why not, wrote about just TODAY!

We woke up today morning to see snow and the phone rang over and over.
"Is the school closing today? Is there a 2 hour delay? When are they going to make the call or email to us?"

Moms in our neighborhood called each other and said the same thing.

Schools did not make an announcement. B went early to office. I stayed home with Nithin, thanks to my neighbor/friend who offered drop the older one to school.

I made a call to my friend and we ended up talking for 3 hours. We spoke about everything under the sun - a much needed talk for both of us. I have always seen that I rediscover myself or understand my emotions more clearly when I talk to FRIENDS. I hope to have been a help to her also - but it has been months and months since I had that kind of talk with anyone.

I must also admit that talking to a girl friend is a totally different kind of pleasure than talking to guys. There is something totally different with the way girls connect, right! It is not that we have to be talking about nail polish or make up. It is our emotions which make total sense to each other - it would take a lot of explaining to make a man understand them!

I did let my younger one go wild on his computer games as I was chatting away. I felt a little guilty about it. It felt very much like a holiday with not having to drive him to school. I did spend time with him reading and helping him write a Kumon workbook.

In the afternoon, I cuddled up with him and laughed some more. I pretended that I am going away for 2 days and enjoyed him say: 'No, Amma, don't go!' . These little games we play!

5 comments:

UL said...

how fun :) i intend to do it one of these days...to just talk and talk to a friend, a girl friend is something else indeed :) Happy New Year, my dear!

Unknown said...

Sure, nothing like a chat with a girl friend! I love forced holidays like these :-)

B.L.:) said...

I absolutely agree with you...I would have lost my sanity ages ago if it wasnt for my girl friend(s). It wonderful to talk about the silliest things like nail polish, or the more serious things like how its better to keep shut during "in-laws family feuds", or the funny things that kids do, to the moronic things that happen at work. Yup.. girl friends are great support systems.
I dont think Id feel guilty if Id let my kid on the computer for hours on a snow day. Possibly the only time they get that rare privilege of flying unbounded. Especially when they are very young, I guess we dont have to worry about them "being up to no good" on the computers...:). Lets enjoy our precious snow days while kids are still kids...:D

Anonymous said...

i thougt u had a similar talk last week when we spoke and now u are saying it has been months since u had a talk like this..
enna ithu ?

anamika said...

@UL - snow ne hamare plans pe paani pher diya..when do we meet girl?

@Suman - nice to hear from you as always!

@B.L - Now that I finally know who this is, hi there! Thanks for your words. Very true examples!

@anon - who is this?